In 1954 Marina Del Rey was created through the combined efforts of the
U.S. Congress, Los Angeles County and Los Angeles City
US Public Law 780 requires reasonable rates with equal access for all.
Millions of dollars of public money were spent to dredge the channel, widen beaches 450 feet for 5.5 miles, create a small craft harbor, give access to fishing, swimming, recreation and wildlife for all the people of LA.
May 13, 1954 US Congress House Document 389, 83rd Congress created Playa del Rey inlet and harbor, Venice, CA, with federal participation in the provision of entrance jetties, entrance channel, and interior channel and central basin recommended in the project report.
Sept 3 1954 US Congress, Public Law 780, 83rd Congress signed by President Dwight D. Eisenhower approved a federally funded project to create the Marina del Rey harbor and recreation area from 900 acres of the Ballona Wetlands.